Common questions we will ask;
From typical recessed ceiling LED downlights, surface mounted LED downlights, Spotlight, Magnetic circular LED downlights, LED lighting on a plate, LED bulbs in a holder, Panel LED lights and so on...
The list is almost never-ending. It is no wonder many people are easily confuse with what kind of lights to chose from for homes. In my opinion, it is really crazy for there to be so many endless designs just to serve a very generic purpose and location at home.
Despite our experience as a prominent lighting consultant, we not going to be technical in anyway with this sharing. We will share how we chose our lights being a consumer ourselves.
Steps to chose LED downlights for your home;
1. Be self-aware of your own character. Are you more functional, brand conscious, people conscious, creative, etc… Usually most people are either more of function or more on creative.
- It is a waste of time to try and expose yourself to designer lightings but you are a highly functional individual.
2. Chose the shape you prefer (square or round)
- Don’t really care the design first. They can be superfluous and unworthy of your good time in examining the slight differences at this stage.
3. Is your ceiling bare concrete ceiling or false plaster/wood ceiling? Look for lights that is meant for that particular category.
- The former will relate to surface mounted lights and the latter relates to recessed ceiling.
4. Being realistic about your budget, typical spending habits and the inner desire of wanting to be creative.
Assuming you have thought through your step 1 deep enough, often the product you are getting will also fit nicely with you budget.
To put an example to the above:
A highly functional person may not care for being as creative if it requires spending a lot of money. Knowing this will help one focus on getting the right lighting which he/she may feel comfortable even before buying the necessary. Further, the selected lighting product may just as well complement the design of his home, which I assume had also gone though the same person’s thinking process, in many ways.